The Effects of Mold on Your Home and Your Health

Mold damage can have in severe consequences to your home and, more importantly, to your and your family’s health. Mold has the ability to grow anywhere in your home and it may or may not be visible. Dampness or additional moisture in your home enables the mold to colonize and grow. The organic compounds of building materials give mold a food base. This allows mold to spread and multiply which affects the structural integrity of your home. It does not go away on its own. Until the mold is removed from your home, the mold spores will continue to spread. Actively growing mold damages the structure, or any material, it grows on.

Growth Opportunities

Mold damage is often associated with a water leak, flood, drainage issues, or other problems that result in a sizable amount of water settling indoors. These all can and sometimes do cause mold; however, it is important to recognize there are other things in your home that provide ample opportunities for the growth of mold spores even in the absence of water. Some of these are:

• Air conditioners
• Window condensation
• Dehumidifiers
• Air filters
• Damp bathrooms
• Potted plants
• Clothes dryers
• Dishwashers

Anything that generates water vapor gives mold spores a place to grow and thrive. It is essential to clean up excess water immediately to prevent the growth of mold and mold damage.

Health Hazards of Mold Damage Exposure

There are numerous health risks associated with the growth of mold and mold damage. The EPA states that molds can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat and lungs. Individuals who are sensitive to mold may experience allergic reactions including sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rashes. Mold can also trigger asthma attacks in sensitive individuals with asthma.

The CDC reports that people with severe reactions may experience fever and shortness of breath. Individuals with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may develop mold infections in their lungs. Health problems resulting from mold exposure can last for years.

Individuals who suffer neurological symptoms such as headaches, trouble concentrating, shortened attention span, memory loss, and dizziness may have toxic mold growing somewhere in their homes. Mycotoxins from toxic molds can have a mental effect on people much more severe than the allergic symptoms caused by other non-toxic molds. Similar to allergies, if any toxic symptoms increase when you are at home, it is likely there is toxic mold growing in your home.

Take Action

If you think you have a mold issue, call the professionals at Rainbow International Restoration to schedule an on-site consultation to have your home inspected for mold and/or mold damage. Their certified mold removal specialists will evaluate mold growth (visible or suspected), contain mold damage to the smallest area possible, physically remove contamination, dry materials to ensure mold will not return, and perform or recommend procedures for returning your property to a pre-loss condition.

If you see mold damage or suspect mold growth, call today. Mold damage to your home can be repaired in a timely manner, your health may take much, much longer.